- in Gaming:
Do you know that the metaverse is a new and emerging stream with amazing unimaginable virtual possibilities? And one of the major attractions of Metaverse is the potential to revolutionize the gaming industry. Which is also called with a new fancy name like metagaming. Where you can easily apply your real-world learning, expertise, and experiences in the virtual environment to play, talk, make teams, decisions, and strategies to get new rewards and get innovative and amazing gaming experiences.
Parallelly Artificial intelligence (AI) is increasingly being used in game design to create more immersive, challenging, and personalized experiences for players.
Let’s Check out the Trend:
Sounds interesting? Let’s get into some interesting trends that make this meta-gaming possible for us.
- The growth of social gaming: the big media and sports giants have been involved in promoting Social gaming .. where players are allowed to interact with each other online via app audio video or via virtual avatars. Social gaming is becoming increasingly popular, as it allows players to play compete and connect with other players’ friends, and family in a fun and engaging way.
- The development of augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR): although these are very old technologies, due to the rise in Virtual reality after pandemic the AR and VR technologies have gained rapid popularity. AR overlays digital content in the real world which gives viewers the sense of accepting the digital content, while VR headsets allow players to enter a completely immersive virtual world. that’s why AR and VR have the potential to revolutionize immersive gaming experiences, as they offer new and exciting ways to engage with the gameplay.
- Intelligent Non-player characters (NPCs): In meta-gaming NPCs like shopkeepers, policemen, and general crowds behave and even respond to players’ calls in a more realistic and believable manner. This is [possible through the integration of AI algorithms. For example, NPCs can be programmed to react to the player’s actions, learn from their mistakes, and even form relationships with other NPCs.
- Game difficulty: to make the gaming experience more engaging and challenging it been possible that the game environment can dynamically adjust the difficulty of a game based on the player’s skill level through AI integration in gaming. This ensures the balance between the game to be challenging but not impossible to beat.
- Personalization: game experiences are now personalized for each individual player. For example, AI can be used to recommend new rewards based on personal choices, and new content, suggest interesting challenges, or even generate custom dialogue for NPCs.
- Procedural generation: it is now possible to experience auto-generate in-game content, such as environment levels, enemies, and other interesting items, on the fly. This can give access to -game developers to add meta functionality like creating auto-generated massive, detailed worlds dynamically without putting manual modeling methods.
Okay, let me share some examples of games in which AI integration has made them unique and more interesting.
- “The Last of Us Part II” uses AI to create realistic and believable NPCs. This makes the game feel more immersive and realistic. The game’s NPCs like zombies can react to the player’s actions in a variety of ways, they have introduced Smart enemies and they can even learn from their mistakes.
- Another example is “StarCraft II” which uses AI to dynamically adjust the difficulty level of the game. The game’s AI can assess the player’s skill level and adjust the difficulty of the game accordingly. Although the AI ensures that the game is always challenging but not impossible to beat.
- “Mass Effect: Andromeda” uses AI to personalize the game experience for each player. The game’s AI can track the player’s actions and preferences, and it can use this information to recommend new content, suggest challenges, or even generate custom dialogue for NPCs.
- “No Man’s Sky” uses AI to procedurally generate its planets, creatures, and other elements. This allows the game to create a massive and complex universe without having to create every single element by hand.
AI has the potential to revolutionize the way games are played in Metaverse and will be able to effectively engage and involve the players within the game.
How to get into the gaming Industry:
On the other hand, meta-gaming continues to shape the future of gaming and is also responsible for the emergence of several new job opportunities in the gaming industry. If you are interested in building an exciting career in gaming, I am sharing some interesting tips to help you secure a better job in meta-gaming.”
- Get involved in the community: There are several online gaming communities where you can learn about metagaming and meet other people who are interested in the same thing. Getting involved in the game contests game development community or participating in the hackathon is a great way to learn about the latest trends and to network with people who can help you get a job.
- Develop your skills: The metaverse is a rapidly evolving technology, so it is important to keep your skills up to date. Some universities like UPES is providing degrees in meta-gaming having great potential to help you sharpen your skills and learn new techniques in meta-gaming.
- Create a portfolio: after learning the skills a gaming portfolio is a great way to showcase your artistic and technical competency to potential employers. Make sure to include a variety of work in your portfolio, such as game designs, level designs, and animations.
AR & VR for Meta-Gaming:
The future of gaming is looking bright. With the rise of new technologies like META gaming required virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR), to get a more immersive and realistic experience. In addition, the gaming industry is becoming more and more diverse, with games that appeal to a wider range of interests and demographics.
The rise of VR and AR: VR and AR are two of the most exciting new technologies in gaming. VR headsets allow players to enter a completely immersive virtual world, that makes them feel like they are driving or an important part of that game while AR overlays digital elements onto the real world and allow you to feel the game in the real world. These technologies have the potential to revolutionize the way we play games, and they are already being used to create some truly groundbreaking experiences.
The rise of esports: Esports, or competitive video gaming, is another rapidly growing trend. Esports tournaments are now drawing millions of viewers, and professional gamers are earning millions of dollars in prize money. Esports is becoming a legitimate sport, and it is opening new opportunities for gamers and game developers.
Gaming in Other Industries
In addition to the trends mentioned above, gaming is also being used in a variety of other ways. For example, gaming is being used to:
- Educate: There are now several educational games that are designed to teach students about different subjects. These games can be a fun and engaging way for students to learn.
- Train: Gaming is also being used to train people for a variety of jobs. For example, there are now games that are designed to train pilots, surgeons, and firefighters.
- Therapy: Gaming is also being used to provide therapy for people with a variety of conditions. For example, there are now games that are designed to help people with anxiety, depression, and ADHD.
As meta-gaming continues to evolve, it is likely that we will see even more innovative and immersive experiences. The future of gaming is bright, and it is exciting to think about all the possibilities.
Dr. Minhaj Abdullah
Assistant professor, Meta-Gaming UPES Dehradun